Fresh Has Always Been Better!
Sage Shepard’s Pie
Created by Rice Neese
- 1 Pound Sage Neese's Sausage
- 3-4 Russet Potatoes
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas and Carrots
- 1 Cup Beef Broth
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 Stick of Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 4 Cloves of Minced Garlic
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Thyme
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Rosemary
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Parsley
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- Peel and cut the potatoes. Boil in water until you can easily put a fork in them, about 15 minutes.
- Strain water from the potatoes with a colander. Return potatoes to warm pot and add milk, butter, and 1/2 Teaspoon of salt. Mash potatoes until they reach a smooth consistency. Set aside until later.
- Roughly dice the onion. Remove the frozen peas and carrots from freezer so that they can begin to thaw.
- In a large pan, cook the diced onion in a little oil over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- In the same pan, add crumbled sausage, parsley, rosemary, and thyme. Cook until the sausage is browned.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan and cook for about two minutes.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and flour to the pan. Stir to incorporate.
- Add and mix beef broth and the frozen vegetables to the pan. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour meat mixture into a 7 x 11 baking pan. Top with the mashed potatoes. To create a textured affect, put the mashed potatoes in a piping bag and pipe it onto the meat mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Bake the dish for about 25 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
Neese’s country sausage has been a staple in cooking since I was a child. From recipes inspired by my mother to new creations on my own, there is no other sausage like neese’s sausage.
Neese’s is the only sausage I use when making sausage balls during the holidays! They just wouldn’t be the same with any other brand.
Neese’s bacon and sausage are definitely a part of our Saturday morning family breakfast. They have a quality product and it always tastes great!
We love Neese! I was raised with Neese's sausage, bacon and liver pudding in my parents home! The only brand my wife and I purchase for sausage and bacon is Neese's. We can’t wait for the online store!
My parents have always had a soft spot for Neese’s Liver Pudding, but I prefer their Hot Sausage. It’s versatile, perfectly seasoned, and the quality is unbeatable.
As a former airport security screener I can attest to the fact that Neese products were, more often than not, included in the carry on bags of many out of town passengers! They raved about having to take the liver pudding and hot sausage home and how they wished it was available in their home towns!!
Sure was glad to see you guys are going to have online ordering. Now I don't have to wait until I get to North Carolina for my liver puddin' fix!
Out of all the things in life one can be disappointed by, this is not one of them. Always as good as you remember it, always quality.